Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Shooting Yourself in the Foot

Even when I was a kid, I had a tendency to pop off at the mouth. Combined with a keen intuition, an eye for hypocrisy, and too large a vocabulary, I was always getting into trouble. You could count on me to stand on a table to introduce you to the elephant in the room.

If it sounds like I scorched some earth back in the proverbial day, there's truth to that. I was a disc jockey in my hometown when I was fifteen, for example. For some reason, they gave this certifiable teenager a real disc jockey job. I locked up the place, spun records (look it up, kids), and took my Personality on-air. But, whoops, got fired before I turned sixteen for making fun of New Coke. Turns out people who buy ads pay your salary. But, might I point out now, as I pointed out then: I WAS RIGHT?

But I digress. I lost another awesome gig as the Features Editor of my college paper, just for making fun of campus police (I'm tempted to again now, but alas still wary. Those guys get jacked up on coffee and doughnuts, and they'll arrest you like a real cop). Again, I may be right, I may be funny, but I have bloodied some noses along the way, however unintentionally. And taken some big, big lumps as a result.

I recognize this shortcoming of mine, along with a full menu of character flaws that on most days I can own. Every time I experience pain associated with these flaws, I try to see them as an opportunity to grow. I would encourage you, dear reader, to check your head if you are in emotional pain. Is there a character flaw you are digging your heels over that keeps costing you at work, at home, with friends? Are you shooting yourself in the foot?

Refusal to accept the Universe's lesson about self-growth enslaves you to repeat the pain. Don't make Her smack you. Like Nancy Grace, She'll issue a warrant. Open the mail already and evolve.

No comments: